Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Flawless Skin of Ugly People: Review


The Flawless Skin of Ugly People, is one of those books I didn't know anything about, but when I saw it on the shelf at the Library I had to take it home with me. It was one of those books that spoke to you.The Flawless Skin of Ugly People, a finalist for the William Faulkner Prize, is Doug Crandell's first novel. He is the author of two memoirs, Pig Boys Wicked Bird and The All American Industrial Motel, and love in Douglasville, Georgia. Visit him at http://www.dougcrandell.com/



"Thanks to "Ugly Betty" we're finally ready to read a love story about a couple that isn't sleek, slick, tucked, pulled or plastic".



" Do we have to be beautiful to be loved? Hobbie—this novel’s darkly romantic hero—has been banished to homely man exile in the North Georgia Mountains, where his enemies are mirrors and bears. Things are not going well for Hobbie. His skin? Pizza Face, super-sized, with extra pepperoni and pitted olives. Job status? Former bank teller. Love life? His common-law wife Kari has gone AWOL at a weight-loss clinic in North Carolina. But just as it seems Hobbie is doomed to go through life as a sweet, self-pitying “anonymous joke,” he jumps out of his skin and becomes downright heroic. Can Hobbie rescue Kari from the weight-loss clinic? Can he pull his fractured family together? Plastic surgery—will he or won’t he? Will love endure if Hobbie’s skin clears up, Kari drops pounds, and ugly people become flawless? Readers won’t be able to put the book down until they find out. "

Okay, this is the first time since blogging about the books I have chosen to pick up to read, that I just could not connect with the book. I wanted to love this book, I wanted to enjoy it, I wanted to like it. I just had a hard time connecting not only with the story line but the characters as well. Now I say this but I back it with the fact that the majority of people who have reviewed this book loved it, so take it with a gain of salt. What one person enjoys might not be the next person's cup of tea. Something to remember when reading other people's thoughts on a book/movie or a product in whole, it's just their view! I do believe that the concept behind this story is a wonderful one, and I did not fail to get the point!
I am going to have to give this book a 3 star!

This book falls into these challenges...
Until next time...
Happy Reading!


Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

TheChicGeek said...

Nice review. I have a feeling I'd probably go with your thoughts than the crowd on this one. I hate that when you read something that you don't really like. Life is too short to be wasted with things you don't like, right?
I stopped by the Punky Monkey...so cute...I may have left you two comments practically the same..ooops lol
Happy Reading!

Anonymous said...

I've blogged about this very thing so many times. Not every book is for every reader. Too bad it wasn't a better experience. But like you, I'd have picked it up. That title alone would have cause me to reach for it...lol!

The Bookworm said...

great, honest review, it sounds interesting. it is true, what one person likes to read, another may not enjoy.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/