Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Distant Shores by Kristin Hannah {Review}



Distant Shores

By Kristin Hannah

ebook, unsure of ebook pages (How I read it)
paperback, 342 pages

Published January 29, 2002 by Ballantine Books


 Elizabeth and Jackson Shore married young, raised two daughters, and weathered the storms of youth as they built a future together. But after the children leave home, they quietly drift apart. When Jack accepts a wonderful new job offer, Elizabeth puts her needs aside to follow him across the country. Until the sudden death of her father changes everything.

Grieving and alone, she retreats to an isolated beach house where she packs away the last remnants of her parents’ lives. There, the pieces of a past she never knew unfold to reveal a tender story of lasting devotion, the kind of steadfast commitment that Elizabeth admits is missing from her own marriage. Faced with her own disillusionment, she makes a terrifying decision, risking everything she has for a second chance at happiness.
  
My Review:
I was told by many readers to try out this author and I couldn't have picked a better book to start. Elizabeth can be everyone of us mothers, who give our lives to our family. Once they all leave the nest we may have lost who we really are.  Kristin Hannah also lets us glimpse into that "is the grass ever greener on the other side?" Do we need to loose path A to gain path B? 


This story picked me up and threw me in it head first. I felt I wasn't just a reader, but a bystander watching it all unfold. This is a book I will be recommending everyone to read! 



My rating:


Visit Kristin Hannah on Facebook, website





Until next time... Happy Reading!

1 comment:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I read this one recently, too. Love how Hannah spotlights the deep emotional connections between family members...and shows us the complexities.

I love her books!