The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares
"They were just a soft, ordinary pair of thrift-shop jeans until the four girls took turns trying them on--four girls, that is, who are close friends, about to be parted for the summer, with very different sizes and builds, not to mention backgrounds and personalities. Yet the pants settle on each girl's hips perfectly, making her look sexy and long-legged and feel confident as a teenager can feel. "These are magical Pants!" they realize, and so they make a pact to share them equally, to mail them back and forth over the summer from wherever they are. Beautiful, distant Lena is going to Greece to be with her grandparents; strong, athletic Bridget is off to soccer camp in Baja, California; hot-tempered Carmen plans to have her divorced father all to herself in South Carolina; and Tibby the rebel will be left at home to slave for minimum wage at Wallman's."
" we the sisterhood, hereby instate the following rules to govern the use of the traveling Pants:
1. You must never wash the Pants
2. You must never double cuff the Pants. It's tacky. There will never be a time when this will not be tacky.
3. You must never sayt he word 'phat' while wearing the Pants. You must also never think " I am fat" while wearing the Pants
4. You must never let a boy take off the Pants ( although you may take them off yourself in his presence).
5. You must never pick you nose while wearing the Pants. You may, however, scratch casually at your nostril while really kind of picking.
6. Upon our reunion, you must follow the proper procedures for documenting your time in the Pants.
7. You must write to your Sisters throughout the summer, no matter how much fun you are having without them
8. You must pass the pants along to your Sisters according to the specifications set down by the Sisterhood. Failure to comply will result in a severe spanking upon our reunion
9. You must not wear the Pants with a tucked-in shirt and belt. See rule #2
10. Remember: Pants= love. Love your pals. Love yourself.
I found this book to be very endearing. What teenage girl does not long to have friendships like the ones in this novel! You find yourself relating to each of the characters in one way or another!
I realize I am way late on reading this series, but I am just glad I finally got on board! I am giving this book 4 stars out of 5!
This book falls into these two reading challenges, check them out to see my progress.
Until next time...